At the risk of sounding like The Grinch…
People enjoy Christmas only up to a certain age. Or maybe that’s just me. I enjoyed Christmas up until I graduated from college. After that, I started dreading the holidays. My reasons?
- I never feel my Christmas bonus. Never! It’s all spent on paying bills and credit card debts that have accumulated. I don’t mind buying gifts for people I care about, but it’s really more of my extravagance coming back to slap me in the face that I hate dealing with. To think, I’ve already toned down my lifestyle…
- Heavy traffic. Plus annoying cab drivers seemed to have “gone forth and multiplied”. Which leads me to…
- Waking up two hours earlier than usual so cabbies would have no excuse to ask for additional payment. If the roads are clear, they can’t complain about the traffic. The lack of sleep that this entails, however, guarantees that I’d be a real grouch.
- There are crowds everywhere!!! Everyone’s in the mall.
- All of the above lead people to become hotheaded. I’ve seen people flare up over the littlest things this season. Really. For a holiday that’s based on the birth of the Christian Savior, we sure do our best to act so un-Christian.
Anyway, I was able to relax a few days ago, with the only things I like about the season (and no, this is not an ad for Starbucks):
Hanging out at the Starbucks Magallanes branch. They used to have free wi-fi. Um. Actually, it’s the restaurant next door that had free, open wi-fi, which Starbucks patrons used to have access to. Hehe.
That’s a Peppermint Mocha latte at the rightmost side of the photo. It’s my favorite Christmas drink.
And I tried this because I like gingerbread cookies, especially Fibisco’s ginger snaps (if only they weren’t super tough on the teeth).
This particular Starbucks treat, which seems to come out only during the Christmas season, isn’t as delectable as it looks. I can’t seem to taste the ginger in it.
Anyhoo, I just had this small reprieve a few days ago, before I went up to Tagaytay…then it was back to hellish Manila again. Gosh, can I just hide myself until the season ends? Can I? Can I?